Friday, February 17, 2012

Flesh Wounds



I remember, once upon a time
when my existence was solely comprised of
…light and consciousness
moving freely amongst the heavens
I looked down upon the earth and became
Africa
from there I had been exported, deported
forcefully incorporated into a system
that tried it’s damnedest to extort
….every ounce of my dignity
found myself enslaved
…and wasn’t standing for it
I became enraged
an enmity had risen within me
discovered that somehow I had became
…my own worst enemy
society had my number
eight-five-five-five-zero-three
(committed to memory)
thought they had a snitch
quite amusing how they got it all twisted
especially considering how many times
…I came so close to putting someone six feet under
finally I stood out in the wind
quieted my mind and took the time to listen
I was advised to not use weapons of fear
instead , was urged to wield my pen
that if I would be patient
I could rest assured  that one day
my words would be heard
still, I kept hearing noises
…and some strange voices
growing ever so tired of (constantly) being deceived
…of making bad choices, of ingesting earthly poison
had to reach….but I didn’t dare reach out

(as no one would listen)
so I reached deep within
…and managed to summon the strength
now my life is all about redemption
while Truth serves as my stipend
living within strife
…was not a good way for each new day to arrive
particularly after I came back to remembrance
that there is much more, than this life
forgotten now, about the matters of the flesh
I once so diligently pursued
the scars they left behind were merely
…flesh wounds

Rory

©rj2012


*inspiration to write this piece was drawn from my friend and colleague Amy Wood
  photo used under license. all rights reserved. please do not copy
  solar full eclipse ©Cednik | Dreamstime.com




3 comments:

  1. So very moving Rory. I DO understand and know the deep(est) levels of this very personal story.
    The song is so very much a part of this...perfect choice.
    I really feel and see you with(in) this.

    I know there is more to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were not for 'flesh wounds' binding us as a reminder of the here and now the path back to 'once upon a time' would be but a straight shot. Deepness, dear poet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ink and with such stark honest truth spoken here. Just love how you brought history into this absolutely beautiful write Rory.

    ReplyDelete