Saturday, April 23, 2011

Circumstantial Evidence



it was in the middle of having one of those days
where inside I was feeling somewhat contentious
at the time I wasn’t content with (you name it)
I began considering what (exactly) would be the benefits
…of changing my ways
found myself seeking the counsel of intoxication
not sure why

despite any self imposed ruinations
I do believe that with a new sunrise comes the of opening your eyes
shortly after hitting the block
I came across this brother
his circumstances appeared to be worse than mine
I don’t think he had a place that he called home
unkempt and jagged around the edges
one could tell it had been a while since his hair had been comb
his clothes were ripped and ready to fall off
…and he wreaked badly of alcohol

he approached and says to me, “give me penny, as raggedy as I am”
I said “brother if I had it to give I would”
“got damn”, “that’s what I’m talking about man”,
“everybody taking but ain’t nobody giving”
“I didn’t figure you for one of them”, his reproach
“give me a penny, as raggedy as I am”

He then whisks out a bottle of Thunderbird from one of his pockets. Quickly he twists off the top, takes a couple of swigs and hands the bottle over to me. I recognized the gesture. The brother had given unto me everything he had. A sort of communing.

mad and filled with strife
he needed to be heard
he spoke with some very choice words

told me about how he had tried to make a nice life
paid his taxes
wore the latest fashions
thanked God and lived it up on Friday night
then went to church every Sunday and gave God his tithe
only to come home one day to find someone ran off with his wife

making things worse
he kept getting passed over for promotions
having grown tired of his bosses inertia
he finally raised a commotion and suddenly
…found himself without a job

It was then, according to him, when he made the discovery that keeping up with the Joneses meant keeping oneself fully supplied with the vice they jones for.

After taking a couple of drinks and carefully examining my own thoughts. I returned the bottle to him and went on my way. Wondering if this (his life story, our meeting on the street) is what God wrought?

thinking
questioning
taking in consideration
jonesing for understanding

deviating from my proclivities
needing to calm my nerves

(found my own bottle)

as I began to drown my anxieties
these thoughts emerged

why it is that we continue to live
against the principles of evolution
is beyond my ability to comprehend
how can man claim dominion without having solutions

prosperity for everyone
a concept long lost to
…the profits at all cost demand
instead we are enslaved by a system disguised as democracy

why is it that our cultures still live mostly segregated
rather than fully engaging the differences
we refuse to trust each other, holding fast to trepidation
while  also bringing forth carnage over which is the right religion

apparently we have been successfully propagandized
to the point of becoming collectively docile
confused, desensitized, waiting for Armageddon to crystallize

yet to have the true nature of our consciousness roused



Rory



©rj2011



5 comments:

  1. THIS IS INSPIRING I HAVE THE SAME THOUGHT RORY.I JUST POSTED A POEM OF THE LONLY PEOPLE .PEOPLE PASSING THEM BY GOING ON OUR MERRY WAY .I WILL SEND IT TO YOU .GOD SENDS PEOPLE INTO OUR LIFES FOR A REASON.IT IS UP TO US TO OPEN OUR HEARTS TO THEM.INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow powerful write Rory, reading this I felt like I was on the street experiencing the emotions, asking the same questions and hoping to find answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I find myself asking the same questions. Thought provoking writing RJ. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rory! This is absolutely breathtaking, and poignant for these times. I love the comparison you drew...how often, we can't see that we are all have the same hopes/dreams/disappointments in our lives, and yet don't see it in our fellow man/woman. I'm blown away by this.
    You have a heart of Gold.

    The music playing is just perfect too...love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect blog experience...I enjoyed coming by very much Rory.

    xoxo

    M

    ReplyDelete