Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ominous Inclination

(a short story)

What exactly came over me I can’t really say
I do know that it was demonic in nature
The principle I have stood for the most
That being live and let live had been subverted
In an instant my morality came crashing down inside me
Like a thunderous bolt of lightning
Now as I sit here within the streaming puddles of blood
My shirt drenched by the blood of his vanity and disregard
I find that I feel no remorse
Only a malevolent sense of pleasure
Ridding this world of what I’m sure has been a lifelong nuisance
Certainly he had this coming
I hear the sirens of the authorities hastily approaching
Soon I will be handcuffed and whisked away
To pay my karmic debt for my own refractory behavior
Gladly I will do so
I will not hide or seek any favorable circumstance
Only reveal the truth as to what spurred my action




As I remember
It was a hot and muggy day
Traffic was heavy in the city
We had just sat through the second cycle of red light
Perhaps there was an accident further ahead
So much pressure was on our road system with no relief in sight
Starring into what had became the third red light
My sight began to get blurry almost like I were dizzy
I felt the onset of a migraine headache as traffic had only inched forward
At the same time the fellow in the car next to me began blasting his music
The problem wasn’t so much the music itself
The problem was how the music sounded
400 watts of a scratchy, raspy, rattling gibberish
Mostly treble with no discernable bass line
It was so loud that it played over the music in my own vehicle
Even after rolling up my car windows and turning off my own music
Constant thumping and irritation
I looked over at the fellow and gestured my surrender
Hoping that he would turn it down to a more acceptable volume
As a return gesture, he flashed a some hand sign at me
Turning the music up even more
Louder, LOUDER, even LOUDER
My nerves were wrangled, my migraine full blown
He began laughing having recognized my discomfort
I snapped
Reaching into my glove box
I grab my hunting knife
Quickly I get out of my car and run over to his
First I slice his neck
Realizing what happened
He opens his car door and attempts to fend me off
I stab him twice in the stomach
He falls to the ground hitting his head a landing on his back side
I kneel over him
Stabbing him in the stomach and chest areas of his body
With blood spurting everywhere I continue stabbing uncontrollably
I can see the utter horror in his eyes until...
...finally they roll to the back of his head
Life flees from his body



The blaring sirens are very close
As I mentally prepare for what is to happen next
For what is to become of the rest of my life
To my surprise I notice the sirens have passed by
Their volume dissipating into the distance
So too does the music from the fellow’s car next to me
Snapping out of it
I begin to wonder, where are the detectives, where is the crowd of onlookers

Looking up, my vision is clear and the light has turned green

Traffic begins moving
Many cars are honking, certainly relieved, perhaps even overjoyed

Wiping the sweat off my brow
I realize that the cars behind are honking at me
Finally I too drive off and carry on
Good thing traffic has finally cleared up
Two more seconds and I would have wound up killing that guy



Rory


©rj2011





5 comments:

  1. Daydreaming while driving yikes...lol No but seriously very intense all the way through! you did a fine and scary job with this Rory! You had be bracing here in my chair! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see clowns like this every day on my walks...the aggressive behavior, everyone always in a hurry...oh god, not to mention BAAAAAAAD music.
    Now, if everyone had some real smooth background music playing in their vehicles (pretty much like the song you posted), I reckon the roads would be a lot less ominous...and way more chilled ;)
    Love this write Rory. Builds beautifully to a dramatic climax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intense. That happens on our street. Boom. BOOM! BOOM! There's even this little creep who rides a three wheeler bicycle with a gigantic speaker in the basket down our street. I have had these kinds of fantasies about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! A Stephen-King-esque beauty but with your very own panache! I love it!

    ReplyDelete