Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Street Seen

(a street sonnet)



back in the day, I must have been about sixteen
the days of platform shoes and afro sheen
thought I had all the answers, about this cruel world
my own car, money in my pocket, plenty of girls
stepped to a party in the projects one night
I can vividly remember seeing a light
cats rolling a dice game, lost souls snorting cocaine,
pimps counting cash, wino’s on the corner ignoring their pain
a prostitute offers me her body just because
hoping that maybe she could discover the definition of love
doubt, envy, wretchedness, suicidal tendencies
this was what that light was showing me
looking to the stars I asked, “is this world of ours, just a sham?”
to be alive and yet be deprived, guess I will never understand

Rory




©rj2009



1 comment: